Rega Announces New Premium Aethos Stereo Amplifier
Rega's Aethos is the British brand's new integrated amplifier and features a new custom-designed case which is home to four 160W 16 Amp output transistors per channel, delivering 156 W per channel into 6 Ohms. The Aethos is a dual-mono design using a custom wound toroidal transformer and regulated supplies for the sensitive amplification and driver stages. The pre-amplifier stage uses class-A discrete circuitry throughout.
The power amplifier used in the Aethos, Rega states, is an improved version of the one used in the brand's award-winning Elex-R and Elicit-R.
Also borrowed from the Elex-R is the volume control and line amplifier, but improvements have also been made here too.
The Aethos uses the Linear Systems LSK389 FET and the well-respected RK27 'Blue Velvet' potentiometer.
The level and tracking between the left and right channels is set by the close tolerance parts in the pre-amplifier circuit and less by the actual potentiometer itself. The result is keeping the mismatch between channels due to volume control tracking irregularities to a minimum.
The Aethos has a switchable direct input and a pre-amplifier output making it a versatile partner with a wide variety of systems.
Furthermore, Raga has taken particular care not to obstruct the headphone output signal path by ensuring the speaker switching is performed by the output mute relay.
Rega's aim for a no-compromise amplifier also means that there is no DAC nor phono stage. Naturally, the company's Aura MC phono stage will be high on their recommendation list.
Australia's Rega distributor, Synergy Audio Visual, says the amplifier is expected before the of the year and will sell for $5,999 RRP.
For more information, head to Rega.
- No load 12.5 V
- 32 Ω 2.7 V
- 54 Ω 4 V
- 300 Ω 9 V
- Source impedance 109 Ω
- Record output level (with rated input levels) 219 mV
- Record output impedance 560 Ω
- Pre-amp output level (with rated input levels) 840 mV
- Pre-amp output impedance 100 Ω
Input sensitivities for rated output level:
- Input 1-5 and record input sensitivity 224 mV @ 17 kΩ
- Maximum input level 11.5 V (record output amplifier overload point)
- Direct input sensitivity 840 mV @ 50 kΩ
- Power amplifier gain 31.6 dB
- Frequency response @ 100 W into 8 Ω:
- Line input 1-5 and record 10 Hz (-0.8 dB point) to 30 kHz (-0.5 dB point)
- Direct input 10 Hz (-0.8 dB point) to 50 kHz (-0.5 dB point)
- THD+Noise @ 100 W into 8 Ω:
- Direct input (Power amplifier only) Typically 0.007% @ 1kHz (measurement bandwidth 22 Hz to 30 kHz)
- Line input Typically 0.007% @ 1kHz (measurement bandwidth 22Hz to 30KHz)
- Power consumption Maximum output: 415 W @ 230 V / 220 V / 115 V / 100 V into the rated load of 124 W RMS into 8 Ω
- Fuse ratings T3.15 AL 250 V - 230 V/ 50 Hz and 220 V / 60 Hz
- T6.3 AL 250 V - 115 V / 60 Hz and 100 V 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions W 433 mm x H 95 mm x D 360 mm (including speaker terminals)
- Weight 17.5 kg