cyrus repair....help!

hi, have a cyrus 2 that i want to add a psx to it.

does anyone know where i can get this done,prefer someone decent in sydney as the phono stage needs looked at also.

is connecting the psx easy enough to do myself or should i take it to a pro?

thanks!

The Cyrus PSX is a separate box, not an upgrade to the amp itself.

The PSX is connected to the C2 by a connector cable. The only thing that needs doing is that the blanking cover of the socket on the back of the C2 needs removing.

Do you already have a PSX? If not, remember the PSX-R is not compatible with the 1 or 2.

nice upgrade, takes the 50W to 70W/ch if I remember rightly, I seem to remember something about removing internal fuses too, but I may be wrong it was a long time ago I had mine.

It is necessary to remove the 2 internal fuses from the main pcb of the Cyrus 2 before connecting the psx.It's easy ro do .Just unplug the Cyrus 2 remove the 4 philips screws holding the case in place and remove the 2 fuses that sit behind the record selector switch.If the case is the early plastic version do not hold the amp buy the front panel as it will break off.

Once the fuses are removed reassemble the amp , plug in the psx and all in puts and speakers and power up.

NB : the newer PSX-R will not work with the Cyrus 2.

Linky : http://www.cyrusaudio.com/prd_downloads/Cyrus1_2_PSX_1.pdf

Edited by ozcal

My Cyrus III needs to have some wires transposed in order to work with it's PSX-R. There seems to be some internal fiddling required for the Cyrus 2 as well.

The Cyrus agents in Australia are Crestmore. They are very approachable and willing to help. According to the service engineers in the Cyrus factory the Crestmore repair guy is the best outside of the factory itself. So, unless you can find the correct wire or fuse swapping sequence for the 2 and DIY, I suggest you give them a call and maybe send it to them. I think the cost will be minimal and well worth it, a good upgrade. I have the details for the III but not the 2, sorry.

http://www.crestmore.com.au/

Good luck, let us know how it sounds.

Steven.

thanks for the info,i have the psx and the cable.

i can see the 2 fuses inside, so should i go for it as i don't want to damage it but have read a couple of simular post saying just remove the 2 fuses...i have some old jbl l26 speakers coming tommorow,fully restored and am dying to hook up this combo to em!

thanks again, off to get some toys.....i'll check back here before i open it up......:party

thanks for the info,i have the psx and the cable.

i can see the 2 fuses inside, so should i go for it as i don't want to damage it but have read a couple of simular post saying just remove the 2 fuses...i have some old jbl l26 speakers coming tommorow,fully restored and am dying to hook up this combo to em!

thanks again, off to get some toys.....i'll check back here before i open it up......:party

I sold and modded a lot of Cyrus 2's for Psx use.I say go for it.Just make sure to unplug everything from the mains first.

Gordon

the psx lights up..checked all fuses and they look fine..

i'll take it to the crestmore tech and see if he can figure it out, cause i really don't have any idea where to go from here?

thanks anyway....should i keep me pioneer a-400 which works fine?

or is this cyrus gear really worth the effort?

the psx lights up..checked all fuses and they look fine..

i'll take it to the crestmore tech and see if he can figure it out, cause i really don't have any idea where to go from here?

thanks anyway....should i keep me pioneer a-400 which works fine?

or is this cyrus gear really worth the effort?

There are internal fuses in the psx , you could check these but if they have blown it is worth having the tech at Crestmore give it a once over.

The Cyrus should be a keeper once fixed , never liked the Pioneer:D

i liked the pioneer apart from the brightness and hard matching i thought the cyrus would be a different sound.

still waiting to get these speakers and will try both and decide.

the speakers have a freq dial on them...is that so i can control the tweeters?...i've never seen that before.

i wonder what they'll be like compared to my last speaker b&w 602 s2 & s3

i loved those but the bright tweeter got me in the end.

great for movies but less so for music.

• 2 weeks later...