My 2ch room

Agreed, Terry, it could certainly be a difference in the level of performance of each source, but that is a significant difference, up to 20%. I run my red book CD through the same DAC as the Aries Mini so the comparison is apples with apples in that regard. I'm sure your system is A1 and I didn't mean to infer anything to the contrary, but there can be a huge swing in how a device will perform from system to system too.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

I honestly can say streaming tidal is very close and at times comparable to me using my cd transport. I sometimes question whether I even need a cd transport? I'm currently still running in my transport. Perhaps the sound might improve in the near future who knows but I'm enjoying the music from both sources. Tidal let's me discover new music which is sweet 

Currently my setup for streaming is

Aries>intona >W4S rur >dac. Using curious regen links in between and a cheapish lps to power the W4S rur 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

I run my red book CD through the same DAC as the Aries Mini so the comparison is apples with apples in that regard.

But the two "apples" might be from different masters ;)

38 minutes ago, Satanica said:

But the two "apples" might be from different masters ;)

Ah, not the point I was trying to make, but in general terms and over a large sample and a fair bit of listening time, I'm not hearing much difference.

Cheers,

Keith

I'm seriously beginning to feel this way. What kind of streaming setup are you running? 

I had Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify Premium & Apple Music. Tried relockers etc too. Now I just run Apple Music straight from -gasp- Apple Airport lol. For exotic sources I just spin vinyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tidal - good SQ but limited library

Qobuz - my kind of music but not official in Australia - something goes wrong nowhere to whinge about

Spotify Premium - good SQ, great play lists but library not as good as Apple

Apple - best library, good classical music selection, SQ not the best but quite bearable

So true when I think about the time I had Spotify Premium vs Tidal right now

Yup Tidal needs to expand their library and implement gapless playback for them to have me back. I'm happy to pay extra 15 bucks for the trivial SQ improvements but the aforesaid shortcomings are just unacceptable