My 2ch room

Guest Bodhisattva

Hi Daniel, thanks for posting your system & posting some nice photos. You've obviously given some thought to the aesthetic...I like how the timbers from your Pagode rack, RWL-3's & speakers match together. I also like the thorough, methodical approach you have taken with your system.

I am very familiar with Acoustic Revive gear & run all-Accoustic Revive Power Reference pc's in my system connected to an RTP-6 ultimate. The Power Reference pc's in particular are awesome! Are those Power Max cables you're running? I also own a few other AR tweaks :o It's a shame you're in Sydney...keep us posted how your system develops!

Cheers,

Bhodi

Hey Bhodi,

Thanks for your kind words. This is actually my second attempt to build up my 2ch system. I had another system previously and learnt from it what I actually wanted therefore this is how the current system evolved.

Yes I run both Power Max and Reference in the system. I use the Reference to power the MF monoblocks and feed my RTP-6. I use the Max to power my source, DAC and pre-amp.

Using the Max gives the sound more bite. My system is not overly bright at all with the components I have chosen. Hence I prefered the sound of the Max powering my sources.

What kind of setup are you running Bhodi?

Cheers

Wow MP, a really great looking set up and I love how tidy the cable and ICs look in the photo showing the rear of the gear......wish I could make mine look like that, alas I fear that is not to be!:o

Beautiful looking system and very clean and precise......I'm sure it sounds sensational.

Cheers,

Keith

Guest Bodhisattva
Hey Bhodi,

Thanks for your kind words. This is actually my second attempt to build up my 2ch system. I had another system previously and learnt from it what I actually wanted therefore this is how the current system evolved.

Yes I run both Power Max and Reference in the system. I use the Reference to power the MF monoblocks and feed my RTP-6. I use the Max to power my source, DAC and pre-amp.

Using the Max gives the sound more bite. My system is not overly bright at all with the components I have chosen. Hence I prefered the sound of the Max powering my sources.

What kind of setup are you running Bhodi?

Cheers

Hi Daniel,

Yeah it looks like you'd dabbled a bit before. I like Acoustic Revive gear. Are you using Power Max 2 or 3 cables? They don't give away too much performance to the Refs. The Power Max as I understand were developed for the Japanese & German markets where single-core wire is not accepted. I'm curious as to what you mean by more 'bite' & emailed my contact at Acoustic Revive about the differences. Hmm maybe I prefer the Refs because my Marten speakers are a bit on the bright side?

I am currently running an Ayon CD-5s integrated tube cd player as cdp/pre, Oppo BDP-83SE player, Modwright KWA-150 dual mono amp and Marten Coltrane Alto speakers. Power cables are all-AR Power Reference connected to an RTP-6 ultimate. My system is in transition. I have just bought new racks & will be adding new high end cables and further components over the next year. Just keeping it all low key until it's all finished.

Cheers,

Bodhi

Bodhi,

I'm using Power Max II cables. I think the Max was created to sound like the Reference. I'm sure thats what the guys at AR will reply to your email. Be warned for the funky Jap-nglish reply.

What I mean by more "bite" , the sound has more drive. Using Reference for all the cabling creates a very natural sound too much of a good thing. So I tried mixing with the Max to get the sound which I prefer in my system.

Modwrights.....are you running single or 2? I have always wanted to try them out. Did you get them locally?

Edited by musical physic
Using Max II not III cables bought 2 yrs ago

Guest Bodhisattva
Bodhi,

I'm using Power Max II cables. I think the Max was created to sound like the Reference. I'm sure thats what the guys at AR will reply to your email. Be warned for the funky Jap-nglish reply.

What I mean by more "bite" , the sound has more drive. Using Reference for all the cabling creates a very natural sound too much of a good thing. So I tried mixing with the Max to get the sound which I prefer in my system.

Modwrights.....are you running single or 2? I have always wanted to try them out. Did you get them locally?

Daniel,

The Refs are essentially neutral in character; no tone controls are these! In that sense, they are better suited to systems tuned to the edge. What you're hearing in your Max 2's is added tone, or emphasis which is often needed to balance a system's sound. I think of the Ref as the Zanden, and the M2 as the Boulder. Which one works best for you is mostly system-dependent, then it comes down to personal preference.

I am running a single KWA-150 which is perfect for my large standmounts. The KWA-150 is a dual mono amp which has a very low noise floor & excellent s/n. It also has 1000va of power & a lot of current, so you only really need a 2nd amp for high power handling, low efficiency speakers, or in a large listening room. I chose that amp because it has an uncanny synergy with open, detailed speakers like my Martens and has a warm, tube-like sound which the Martens need. Yes I bought my amp locally from Boris at Absolute Hi End who is a great guy.

Cheers,

Bhodi

Edited by Bodhisattva
edit

• 6 years later...

Just updated digital front end. Replaced both the North star design 192 transport and extremo dac to the North star design Magnifico transport and Supremo dac. Also added an Auralic aries with intona, w4s rur and curious cables. Removed the Thor Ps10 as it was causing issues in my new place. I'm still not sure if I want to go towards a NAS setup as Tidal right now sounds sublime with so much convinience

DSC_0611.jpg

DSC_0612.jpg

DSC_0613.jpg

IMG_20170526_140320.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winno said:

Having owned an A100 some years ago, I'm loving that retro look MF preamp.

I hop you truely enjoy your music through this lovely system. 

Hey Winno, 

I definitely enjoy my system as it is. The MF retro look preamp is nicely done my only complaint it the volume control on it is a tad too sensitive. 

I'm thinking of upgrading the preamp to a tube preamp once funds sufficient. Just need to sell more gear. I'm wanting to see what a tube preamp can add to the system sound

If my Theta dac/pre ever dies and cannot be fixed, I will replace it with a Shiit Yggy dac and a nice valve preamp.

I've used valves before and would happily do so again.

I never got a chance to hear a Yggy. I should have researched a bit more about dacs before updating my dac. For now I'll stick to the supremo and possibly upgrade to a tube preamp. 

What sort of tube preamps you have in mind? I'm leaning towards an octave pre

7 minutes ago, musical physic said:

You would have noticed by now I'm getting lazier as the years go by....... Streaming for convenience. Pretty good so far I must say 

Yep. Spotify premium. No more disc spinning for me.

Nice set up you have there, interesting that you are finding Tidal so good. So far we have found that it is pretty good but not quite cd grade through our system, though if you just have music on in the back ground while in other rooms then it does the job well.

cheers Terry

1 hour ago, TerryO said:

Nice set up you have there, interesting that you are finding Tidal so good. So far we have found that it is pretty good but not quite cd grade through our system, though if you just have music on in the back ground while in other rooms then it does the job well.

cheers Terry

The opposite for me, Terry, with regard to Tidal, I find it every bit as good as red book CD and it is getting up there too with some better SACDs as well, depending on the album though of course. 

On my account I'm streaming at their Hi Fi Master setting and I haven't dropped back to try their Normal or Hi settings as yet. What setting are you streaming at?

Tidal streaming isn't a scratch on a good vinyl pressing I hasten to add, but neither is anything else I have here!:D I wouldn't relegate it to background music though and it is a great source for me anyway, to listen to new music and new artists.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi Keith, yes we use their HiFi Master level as well.

I'm not saying it's only good enough for back ground music, it's better than that. Rather it's a case of when we have back to backed a Tidal title with a Redbook CD on our system the CD version has clearly better SQ. If you were to ask me to put a percentage on it I'd guess in between the 10% to 20% level, but it is obvious.

Having said that if one doesn't back to back the two sources then the Tidal Master level is excellent. I accept that others might have a different experience, maybe it's our system that is not doing it justice.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO