Sign in to follow this  
Critical Sound

Long overdue ...

to sign up here. Hello to all - have finally got around-to-it. Although an MOT I've been an Audio enthusiast for a long time and live in the Audio wilderness called Hawke's Bay. I am essentially a (redundant ???) CD fan but can't deny Streaming makes things easy. As with Vinyl there's something extra involved with the 'ritual' of physical playback. I've been through many a System and various Formats but must say the Music 'Industry' is its own worst enemy ... it' all about the money - hence Remasters and re-issues in different Formats at higher prices. And then there was the change to Copyright laws !

However the good news is these days entry to 'good sounds' from gear itself is definitely more affordable to offset this. Particularly on the Headphone front where even a PC driven pair of half decent Phones can produce good quality sound. Having recently attended the Melbourne HiFi Show I hope sufficient interest can be generated in NZ for such an event. It will be a 1st I think as I can't ever remember one anywhere. I got around as much as poss and was able to listen to gear that we only see on a screen. One such visit of interest for example was the Vivid Audio room - stylish Speakers and sounds to match. Much smaller than I anticipated. With over 3000 visitors Audio is alive and well across the ditch.

My Music interests are mainly Rock but over the years, probably starting with Joni, Stanley Clarke and Level 42 - Jazz influenced styles have crept in. Same with Blues, what we might call Folk and a small Country influence. Fusion styles help and I've found my Music tastes have changed/ been shaped over the years as I've crawled up the Audio ladder. Could just be old age though !

Anyway Forums are a great place to get opinions, find things out and swap experiences etc. Obviously AudioEnz expired and the Witchdoctor Forum died a death so this site deserves some support. It's extremely unlikely but if there's anyone out there that used to attend the HB Audio Club back in the 80's - hello. The 80's were considered an exciting time in Audio but now with the net providing so much info (free - instead of buying mags) and developments particularly on the Digital Music front it maybe more. Certainly more challenging getting to grips with things whereas things were much simpler back then.

Cheers Ian

Welcome Ian and glad to see you found our little corner of the web.

It's still a tad quiet, but slowly and surely, it's coming back to life!

Hi Marc

Will there be a resurgence in CD interest - if Reel to Reel and even Cassettes are making recovery - why not. The most under priced medium out there IMO. My prized Source is a 20 year old Wadia Digital 8 Transport monster at 18Kg - had some mods by original owner going back (but not sure what). There has never been a better time to get into CD. Sale recently here re a Wadia 301 for example - $755 down from orig cost $8995. As for software you can't beat offerings - latest finds - one in Pic and a double disc Good Charlotte for the same money.

Wadia 8.JPG

Weird Al CD.JPG

I agree CD is the next collectable, and I really don't see it going away in the short term, due to a lack of better alternatives. 

I love vinyl, and the collect-ability, smell, feel, touch and sound quality of it. But there is no doubt that CD is a more convenient medium, and can sound as good or better if handled right.

Never been a better time to buy CD's, on the crest of the popularity of vinyl (again). It's got to be near bottom now for s/hand prices, unless the whole format is actually deep-sixed in favour of something else, in which case it'll be just thrown away and worth nothing.

Anyway - welcome Ian!  :) 

Edited by candyflip

It's extremely unlikely but if there's anyone out there that used to attend the HB Audio Club back in the 80's - hello.

Hi Ian.

There's still a few of us left and the club's still ticking along!

Neil

Thanks Candyflip. Neil - I did not know this - is there a contact somewhere ? On the AudioEnz site a few years back I was sad to hear Andrew Clark (Reviewer for the old Audio Video mag) was no longer with us. Andrew was a stalwart back then at the Club.

I don't think it's happening here but o/seas there is a real resurgence in Reel to Reel both for enthusiasts and recording purposes. This is a bit hard to understand really given hype for HiRes etc. - perfect for Vinyl though. Here's one product that's getting attention along with others from Metaxus. Have to say essence of cool from them.

Metaxas R2R.JPG

I always look forward to catching up with Kostas. It's funny he's from Melbourne (like me) and spends half the year here, yet I only ever see him around the world at shows on the other side of the globe. A humble fellow with a serious eye for design. His designs today are cutting edge.

Welcome to the board - a growing community :) 

To your point about collecting CDs - the similarity with vinyl and CD is they're both physical media. 

Time was, not so long ago, when you met someone and got invited to their house for the first time, you could check out their CD shelf and their bookshelf to size up what they read and listen to. These days not so easy! 

Other thing about physical media is I feel it is far better at acquainting the listener with the artist, since you are more likely to listen to a whole album, rather than creating a playlist with one from each artist. (To this point, my teenage kids sometimes wonder why I listen to 5 or 6 songs from one artist in a row!)

Anyways welcome aboard.

The point you raise about visiting friends and checking out books & Discs is a good one - something done automatically going back - now socially obsolete. You'd have a field day here. Designer homes (and the over-kill TV series) these days present the 'clean & sparse open plan look'. Minimalist furniture - not a bookcase to be seen but mandatory big Flatscreens - set up for looks not proper viewing (often above a fireplace).

The big glossy Speaker ads make me laugh too in designer homes. In order to keep things 'clean' there's never any Cables connecting things up - and if Bluetooth where's the power coming from ?

There are few albums for me that hold interest from beginning to end and that's where the trusty Remote rules.

Speakers no cables.JPG

Those room acoustics must be amazing too! :)