Best speaker for $3k

Hi all,

My brother is replacing his Mission speakers with something new. Yet to decide but has a max of $3k. As I am not into speakers in this price bracket, what are regarded as some of the best floor standers in this price range.

Preferrably efficient but ohms aint a problem as he is running my old amp(ME850).

PS they must have a decent bottom end, which is why the Missions are going ie not much bottom end.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

My brother is replacing his Mission speakers with something new. Yet to decide but has a max of $3k. As I am not into speakers in this price bracket, what are regarded as some of the best floor standers in this price range.

Preferrably efficient but ohms aint a problem as he is running my old amp(ME850).

PS they must have a decent bottom end, which is why the Missions are going ie not much bottom end.

With an ME850, his choices are almost infinite. I'd suggest something second hand would be the best choice. He should, of course, listen for himself, to make the most intelligent selection.

I understand that he is not limited due to the 850. But the question remains, "what are considered by many as the best floor stander up to $3k"

At least then he has somewhere to start

If you're talking about new products, one of MY favourites would be the Orpheus Aurora 3. However, MY choice is just that: My choice. Speakers are a very personal issue. The nice thing for your brother is that his choice will not be limited by amplification.

Best Question to start with is what Mission speakers does he have?

Don't know! Don't care! He lives on the Gold Coast and I live in Melbourne.

All I can tell you is that they are floor standers @ 900 mm tall, 2x 4.5in woofers/mid range and a tweeter. Rear firing reflex port.

Thats all I know and they have zero bass extension even with an 850 driving them.

I think he would like at least 2 6in drivers or a 8in and midrange.

BTW living in QLD he doesn't have a huge option to demo.

I suggested like a Sonique or the like.

great sound and looks

G'day,

I suggested like a Sonique or the like.

My experience of Sonique speakers, nice as they are, is that they lack bass. Their floorstanders go down to around 45-50 Hz at best, and are best suited to HT with a subwoofer.

For $3000 on the Gold Coast I would suggest visiting Lenehan Audio at Ashmore and having a listen to the ML-1 bookshelf, which apparently punches out a surprising amount of bass, given similar specs to the Sonique speakers.

--Geoff

Howdy,

ML-1 will go down to 40hz not a problem. Enough for some(most?) peoples tastes (including my own) but not for others.. If ya is after the type of strong bass that he can feel and rattle ornaments off shelves, something like the VAF DC-X will provide that. Most other commercial floorstanders around the 3k mark, I havn't seen be able to match what the VAF can do. Compared to the standard items from ELAC, QUAD 22L, KRIX, LEGEND KAMA, DALI and KLIPSCH are the ones I can remember hearing! The VAFS are pretty good if you have the space for them and like the 'strong' sound :D Rated at 95db sens.

All imo/e though of course.

VAF DC-X G4MKII. He will get bass :D

I agree with Tuyen.At $2800 or $2300 KIT you cant go wrong.Value for money.Buying local no overseas shipping cost ,customs or agent commission....

http://www.vaf.com.au/detail.asp?audio=dc&grunt=s200r26724

P.S Get over here for the Friday for the VAF GTG

Edited by Stump
change day

I'd certainly say the VAF DCX should be high in the contenders list - would also suggest the KRIX Harmonix or Neuphonix (just above $3000) worth having a listen to - I have heard the Harmonix and was quite impressed.

Aus hiFi review of harmonix can bne read here

http://www.krix.com.au/Product/Reviewsdetail.aspx?p=57&i=193

Im being a bit of a "broken record" but second hand would buy some bloody good speakers at $3K - but hed have to invest some time and effort to finding the correct pair for him.

Edited by andythiing

As another VAF DCX owner (both gen4 MkII and older model), I can vouch for the bass performance. Its clean and deep, but not 'in yer face' :D. Despite their size, they can easily be positioned against a back wall. In fact, they sound better that way.

Gee you blokes and the DCX's.

Sure theres no "cash for comments" going on over there in SA.:D

Thanks for the response guys. I will encourage him to find somewhere in SE QLD to audition some.

Edited by dcpqf

Both Sonique and Orpheus can be found in Brisbane. Worth a listen.

If you find somewhere to audition the DCX's up this way, please share. Their online business model is great for keeping costs down but not so handy for auditioning. I'd love to hear a pair, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Gee you blokes and the DCX's.

Sure theres no "cash for comments" going on over there in SA.:D

Thanks for the response guys. I will encourage him to find somewhere in SE QLD to audition some.

you think we're bad, you should see the Adelaide Speakers thread :party:)

Both Sonique and Orpheus can be found in Brisbane. Worth a listen.

If you find somewhere to audition the DCX's up this way, please share. Their online business model is great for keeping costs down but not so handy for auditioning. I'd love to hear a pair, just to see what all the fuss is about.

VAF's marketing strategy obviously makes it easy for locals here in Adelaide to audition their speakers, but its a bit difficult for people interstate. Your best bet might be to seek out a VAF owner in Brisbane who would be willing to let you have a listen.

For 3k and with our strong dollar, I would not go less than these!

vikash-01.jpg

and i know someone who was thinking of selling his, but at what price i don't know.

They are very nice speakers

and i know someone who was thinking of selling his, but at what price i don't know.

They are very nice speakers

From everything I have read, these have been one of my 'holy grail' speakers - and yet to hear a pair. Not that many floating about aus from what I can gather.

Would give them some serious consideration if the price was right - he doesn't happen to reside in Sydney?

For 3k and with our strong dollar, I would not go less than these!

Last time I looked these were more like an 8k build. Even with the strong dollar, 3k would be optimistic (I would love to be proven wrong here!)

Edited by danter

Strongly recommend second hand. He will get real value that way. Hunt around in the Trading post or equivalent. Go and listen to all that he can-that is critical

The Gale 401 and 402 would fit the bill by being versatile in what music genres they do well, provide punchy bass, rich musical presentation and would only cost less than $1000, are very suited to ME850, and well, could be....mounted close to the floor on..short stands!! Seriously though they are very worthy of consideration. There are a pair available here for $500 in very good shape. Typically go in the $500 to $800 range. Consider them as real sleepers.

Happy hunting

Alan