Which genre of music sounds best on your system?

Bosk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is also spectacular on most types of music.. anything from psytrance to jazz to pop and it's now at a point where I have 'noticed' classical music.

the only limitation (and I maintain this isn't a limitation with the system but the software) is that it doesn't play music with lots of distortion that well.. ie, modern music with flatline compression, music where they deliberately clip the output, etc..

apart from that it's anything with dynamics :cool:

Do you choose your equipment to match your musical preferences or does the equipment choose what you listen to?

when I had a pair of Castle speakers, I listened to a great deal of classical music, now I have swtiched to B&W speakers I listen to a lot more indie rock, my mood or my equipment?

...but what sounds best is acoustic blues, folk and jazz.

Do you choose your equipment to match your musical preferences or does the equipment choose what you listen to?

Very interesting point.

One of my pet hates is walking into a hi-fi store only to hear them playing woefully crappy music on magnificent equipment.

Choosing music purely because it sounds good / clean on my system makes me cringe.

Guest yamaha_man
my system sounds great with anything except bob marley. the speakers start emitting mary jane smoke....

seriously? probably early romantic music - schubert, liszt

Unbelievable! As i read this post i was listening to "No woman no cry" (on the Zeppelin) by you know who.

Reggae.......Maan !!

Everything else sounds pretty good too.........but well recorded reggae, for example : UB-40's Kingston Town.......really lifts things up a notch :P

Whenever we've had a party at our home and people are a tad reluctant to let their hair down (on the dance floor)............I usually throw on something like Arrow's 'Hot-Hot-Hot' to get things warmed up..........and it's all systems go......:D

I used to listen to a lot of Metal, but when i had the VAF's a found i couldnt stand it. This was because it is all coming in Mp3 format from the computer. I then started listening to a lot of older rock and electric blues as that sounded a lot better

I then changed the VAf's out for Focals and im just getting back into metal now

so in a way the system dictated what music i listened to. I knew this shouldnt be the way so i chenged it

The best genre has got to be electric blues/old rock, i can crank Free/Derek Trucks as loud as possible and not get tired of it. If i try that with some Grimfist its starts getting a bit harsh at the top (its better with the Focals that the VAF's though) i put this down to the Vafs being more revealing of the source and the focals being more forgiving

Like that chick who sings Spanish Harlem (sorry Earle...:D)

Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven

There is a rose in Spanish harlem

A red rose up in Spanish Harlem

She is a special one

She's never seen the sun

She only come's out

When the moon is on the run

And all the stars

Are gleaming

She's growing in the street

Right up through the concrete

But soft and sweet

And dreaming

There is a rose in Spanish Harlem

A red rose up in Spanish Harlem

With eyes as black as coal

That look down in my soul

And start a fire there

And then I lose control

And have to beg

Your pardon

I'm going to pick that rose

And watch her as she grows In my garden

Where's that 6 pound ball peen hammer :P

Cheers

Edited by 56oval

I used to listen to a lot of Metal, but when i had the VAF's a found i couldnt stand it. This was because it is all coming in Mp3 format from the computer. I then started listening to a lot of older rock and electric blues as that sounded a lot better

I then changed the VAf's out for Focals and im just getting back into metal now

so in a way the system dictated what music i listened to. I knew this shouldnt be the way so i chenged it

The best genre has got to be electric blues/old rock, i can crank Free/Derek Trucks as loud as possible and not get tired of it. If i try that with some Grimfist its starts getting a bit harsh at the top (its better with the Focals that the VAF's though) i put this down to the Vafs being more revealing of the source and the focals being more forgiving

VAF signature series by any chance?

When I was in Adelaide I went to VAF with an audio buddy and Harry Connick Jr sounded amazing on their top of the range speaker. But then we put on a Nickelback CD and it was awful! I know what some of you are thinking - they ALWAYS sound that way! My system is far more forgiving. Bad recording still sound bad, but not quite so aggressively bad as on the VAFs.

Potentially any genre sounds great on my system, but it seems it's more common to find a good Jazz recording than Rock or Pop. If I want to hear a change I've made to the bass, I'll listen to Jazz with acoustic double bass. In fact if I want to test any change to my system, it will always be Jazz I'll try first. When it comes to listening, it really depends on the mood.