brunoaudio

audiophille or audiofool... what are the stupid audio devices you have seen

Hi all 

DISSCLAMER

Now i have no intent to offend anyone reading this after all every one is intitled to there own opinion. 

Have you ever seen a audio product that is just stupid well i have so i decided to start a post about it. from rocks that sit on your cables that they say "inproved sound" to things like high end audiophile grounding boxes  what have you seen  that you think is silly and what do you class as audiophool gear?

Thanks

Bruno

I repeat your disclaimer - I have respect for everyone and no intent to offend. This is a sensitive topic indeed! My opinion, Audio is like a religion, in some ways. They both rely on faith in unverifiable claims!

I'm a valve amplifier designer and builder, at the paying-hobby level. (This is not self promotion, I'm not plugging my work, please don't ban me!!) In by builds I always explain my philosophy. Which is that I have no sympathy whatsoever with any claims made by manufacturers of €9000 power cords and the like.

• You can read more of my philosophy on my blog but beware trigger alert I'm using strong language and taking no prisoners there... it's a bit of a rant!

If you want to spend that sort of money then go right ahead, and if it brings you enjoyment, you could argue it's done its job. But I can demonstrate how I could (for example) spend 5 cents on a 390K anode resistor instead of a 360K one, and the change or improvement in sound quality will be measurable, and make millions of times more difference than qoing from a $9 to a $9000 power cable.

Like any craft there's an element of paraphernalia and ritual associated with it. Spending a lot of money to distinguish yourself is easier than learning how the technology actually works and rolling up the sleeves and designing and building your own stuff to distinguish yourself. 

All the above is exposing me to the risk of being judged, which I don't want, so I'll finish with in the words of Sheryl Crow: "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad" :)

Happy listening all!

EDIT: I forgot to add my contender for the most ridiculous thing - how could I forget - my very own amplifier e-horoscope service!

Edited by AdamR
Added link at the bottom

Guest Proshchay

My Audiophool vote goes to the Furutech NCF Booster. Not because it doesn’t work, but because of its $350US price tag! Why would I buy a $350US cable riser when I can buy a set of (6) custom sized cable risers in exotic wood for about the same price & just stack ‘em? 🤔

Btw, I’m also not convinced about passive grounding boxes, but in the case of the Telos GNR V3.1 which is an active grounding conditioner,  i’ve heard the dramatic improvement in my friend’s system with my own ears. Ok, It’s not cheap, but neither is his system. So it’s all relative. 

Similarly, having upgraded from $99 power cables to $5kUS pc’s over time, it’s been my experience that you can hear and appreciate the difference, with the caveat the rest of your system has to be up to snuff. I’ve done it the right way by upgrading my cables alongside other upgrades incl: speakers, amps, front end, a/c power & isolation.

FD75CF59-76EB-4EA4-95AF-9D4F4EAAF667.jpeg

Edited by Proshchay

Hi David

I do agree that you do hear a diffrence with better cables as a young audiophile I do not have lots of money so i tend to make my gear more then buy.  our audio serviceman friend says that "buy some decent coax cable or even decent gatair audio cable with some nice rca plugs from the brands like neutrik and switchcraft and you will have youself some decent disconects" he uses them with a piar of pye hf25 and very rare lenco turntable with a pare of tanoy speakers and a audiolab preamp. I use myself some cheaper but decent rca cables.

Thanks for reading

Bruno

Guest Proshchay

Cheers Bruno. You can still get good bang for the buck even on a limited budget if you’re prepared to buy the bulk wire and connectors & terminate the cables yourself. My favorite bulk wire is Furutech and Cardas, whilst these days I think Furutech make the nicest connectors, followed by Oyaide. Whilst for speaker binding posts I like WBT and Cardas. That said, I started out with bare wire in my first student system.

Cables - it's gotta be cables.

Specifically, POWER cables.

no no no.....   👺

Anyone remember the Peter Belt  dot stickers?

Little dots placed around the room said to enhance sound quality.

"a long line of PWB accessories based on this and other of Peter Belt's discoveries, many of seemingly fanciful design: ointments (Electret Cream), stickers (Rainbow Electret Foil), and specially treated paper clips (Morphic Links) have been sold direct and through a handful of retailers, few bearing prices greater than £10 or £20 apiece. One of PWB Electronics' most recent accessories is a Morphic Link Magnetic Bookmark priced at £10, intended to be placed in the user's dictionary. Adjacent to the word link.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/peter-belt-1930-2017#2tsUQjhEQD2ZuGMQ.99"

I'm yet to be convinced on power cables, or cable lifters. But I hear obvious differences in speaker and interconnect cables.

My vote goes to the LINN TRAMPOLIN.

A set of LINN LP12 turntable feet, set into little flexible trampoline mats giving an already perfectly suspended turntable a second set of suspension.

If there were any real engineers involved in the design, they would have quickly pointed out the all the TRAMPOLIN does is pit one suspension against the other, effectively exciting and exaggerating each and every footfall!

If you have a LINN LP12 that suffers from footfall problems - dead annoying - be sure to check and remove the LINN TRAMPOLIN feet.  Don't be tempted to put rubber or flexible feet on instead.  What you need is rigidity!  Rigidity will allow your LP suspension to do what it is designed to do - and eliminate the acoustic feedback and most of the footfalls.

(I use ultra-hard black diamond racing cones myself, threaded onto high tensile carbon steel bolts tapped directly into the LP12 plinth.  IT WORKS!!!)

Before you crucify me, give it a try.  It's completely reversible.

Edited by sondek

180g records

remastered records

half-speed remastering

digital remasters

😛