which 46" ?

After review the discussion from others, i have to say the Samsung series 6 is nice.

Which 46" would you pick ?

1. XBR46 wasn't as good as i thought, sepcially when you view the panel from an angle; can't see much at all ?!?! some how i found the Z series has better picture quality.

2. Loewe individual 46" is nice. but the price ..... way too much.

is it worth what it ask $8000 with discount ?

3. Can't find any other brands match the performance of either Samsung or Sony.

Any other suggestion here ?

Thx.

As you haven't stated a budget, I'd also recommend that you consider offerings from:

Metz & Panasonic (unsure if they make 46" screens though)

Personally, Samsung are hard to beat in the value for money stakes, but then, I'm prejudiced..........I have a Samsung plasma.

Read reviews (on line and in print), visit stores, seek advice and then make up your own mind.

What others' recommend may not be to your taste/liking.......:)

2sheds, make sure you pay XBR46 for less than $2999; friends told me.

May consider the XBR46, but the side view picture quality not as good as Z series or Smasung 6 series.

Thanks for all the feedback !

Since i only consider the LCD/LED TV, I guess there's not much option other than Sony and Samsung for below 5K.

2sheds, make sure you pay XBR46 for less than $2999; friends told me.

May consider the XBR46, but the side view picture quality not as good as Z series or Smasung 6 series.

Thanks for all the feedback !

Since i only consider the LCD/LED TV, I guess there's not much option other than Sony and Samsung for below 5K.

SmallG,

Viewing angle is not a big issue for me. Detail, clarity and colour accuracy are important to me, and the XBR delivered. The Samsung LED was good, but a lot pricier than the XBR (at $2999). Another option is the Sharp Aquos LC46D77X . Clive Peeters have it for $2949 (including a XBox360 Elite and 4 games)

cheers

2sheds

The new Sharp LED-lit LCDs are out now at Harvey Norman (and other places?). I haven't seen them yet but I liked the Sony LED and the Sharp CCFL lit LCD so I'm hoping these will be at least as good. Otherwise +1 on Samsung series 6.

ES

Hoping new VAFs will make a Panasonic CRT seem like a Kuro

The new Sharp LED-lit LCDs are out now at Harvey Norman (and other places?). I haven't seen them yet but I liked the Sony LED and the Sharp CCFL lit LCD so I'm hoping these will be at least as good. Otherwise +1 on Samsung series 6.

ES

Hoping new VAFs will make a Panasonic CRT seem like a Kuro

I do like the new Sharp LED-lit LCD, unfortunately the biggest is 40 "

I recently purchased the Samsung 40in LED and have a problem with the sound already.It is vibrating badly and sounds dreadful.I am very disappointed in the sound of these units,the technician is coming out on thursday to look at it.

Which is very inconvenient you have to take time off work and wait a couple of hours for the repairman to show.

Good to hear you have done the research for me 2sheds :)

(I need a replacement for my dead Sony KVHR)

Let us know how it goes

Norpus. What happenend to the HR? I had mined fixed a couple of months ago.

Does the red light blink ten times when you try to turn it on?

The Techs are coming out tomorrow morning,i won't be there unfortunately, my wife will have to handle them.I don't have the sound past 25 so i don't think that is a factor.However when you turn off the tv a jingle is played and i thought that was too loud,i wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Norpus. What happenend to the HR? I had mined fixed a couple of months ago.

Does the red light blink ten times when you try to turn it on?

That's what was happening to my KVHR. Service call to Sony had it fixed in a couple of days. From memory it's an issue with the transformer(I think).

Good to hear you have done the research for me 2sheds :)

(I need a replacement for my dead Sony KVHR)

Let us know how it goes

The Sony Bravia KDL 46XBR45 was delivered on Friday, along with a Sony S550 Blu-ray player. I spent a couple of hours tweaking the settings and adjusting the picture. Let me say at this point that anyone who relies on the factory settings is most likely NOT getting the best picture out of their TV. Those settings, I believe, are to get your attraction on the showroom floor. Check out Tweak TV, buy yourself a Didital Video Essentials DVD or best of all, get a technician to professionally calibrate your TV. It will make a good TV great.

For those that are unfamiliar with the model, the XBR is the top of the Sony range, is made in Japan, and uses the best of Sony's technology, including being the only models with the Pro processing engine, and, very importantly, RGB LED backlighting. Curiously, the XBR's, like the much vaunted Pioneer Kuros before them, are being discontinued - in their current form at least. It appears that Sony found the cost of making the LED backlit LCD panels too expensive. The last of the current XBR's are in short supply, and at around $3000 for the 46 inch model (I picked up the TV and Blu-ray for $3499 at Sony Centre ), represent a great discount on the RRP of $4999. In the USA, the equivalent XBR8 series is being snapped up by buyers not convinced of the merits of the subsequent models.

I have been doing the rounds of department stores for the last couple of months and after comparing all the models from Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, LG and Sharp, the Sony 46XBR45 seemed the best for my requirements.

OK, so how good is the Sony XBR..? Very, very good. On a range of material from SD and HD broadcast, Foxtel, DVD and Blu-ray, the Sony excelled. Colours were beautifully saturated with natural skin tones. Contrast was very good, with the best blacks I have ever seen on an LCD. Resolution of detail is superb, and quite a bit better than any other TV I have seen. I never realised Nicole Kidman had such bloodshot eyes...:party

P.S. My KVHR is still in working order...:)

cheers

2sheds

We bought a 46" Panasonic Viera and they gave us a Wii for $25 postage

An excellent TV, Batty. I liked the Panasonics very much, but plumped for the Sony as my room lets in quite a bit of sunlight. And I like the extra detail of the XBR.

I saw a 50" S10 for $2000. I might get one for the bedroom...

There are some nice deals around at the moment. Sharp are giving away an XBox360 Elite and a few good games with some models.

cheers

2sheds

An excellent TV, Batty. I liked the Panasonics very much, but plumped for the Sony as my room lets in quite a bit of sunlight. And I like the extra detail of the XBR.

I saw a 50" S10 for $2000. I might get one for the bedroom...

There are some nice deals around at the moment. Sharp are giving away an XBox360 Elite and a few good games with some models.

cheers

2sheds

Come on Shedy don't drop the ball now we know you want the 60"