4hecks speaker search takes a break...

Well as some of you know I have been looking for some new (old) speakers for quite a few months and have bothered several of you with questions, borrowed numerous sets of speakers, bought a few pairs and generally been indecisive about what I wanted (other than being a tight wad and recycling someone's old speakers).

Well I'm pleased to report that I think I have found a pair that I will be happy with for a while.

No SA guys, it's not the little Opera's that I accidentally bought on ebay. They are good but destined for the office.

No it's not the old british style I was searching for (although I did buy a pair of audiomaster's that are fantastic).

It's these....

[ATTACH]9705[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9706[/ATTACH]

not Aussie, not British...

effecient? yes 93.5 db (1 watt,1 metre)...

who knows what they are?

What are they, what size drivers are they, where did you get them and what do they sound like C'mon Rod?

You can't leave us like this on fathers day.:)

PS. I love the poof next to the speaker. I use to have a set of black and white poofs just like that - Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nice and distinctive Rod- great work! Where'dya find em? BTW I think there is a pair of Galion on ebay right now....

....and they're in Adelaide.....

Edited by thebigsteamythin
Extra stirring.

Nice and distinctive Rod- great work! Where'dya find em? BTW I think there is a pair of Galion on ebay right now....

....and they're in Adelaide.....

Very observant Bear. I have been keeping an eye on them (only out of interest to see what they eventually sell for. I purchased a set of Opera standmounts from the same seller a few weeks ago and he was asking about $2600 or $2700 for the Galions then.

I got the Giolette from a private sale in the local paper. Nice old bloke retiring to small unit, original owner, no haggling required at the price asked. Absolute bargain.

with 93.5 db effeciency you can guess what I am thinking of trying out next!;)

Edited by 4heckssake

Very observant Bear. I have been keeping an eye on them (only out of interest to see what they eventually sell for. I purchased a set of Opera standmounts from the same seller a few weeks ago and he was asking about $2600 or $2700 for the Galions then.

I got the Giolette from a private sale in the local paper. Nice old bloke retiring to small unit, original owner, no haggling required at the price asked. Absolute bargain.

with 93.5 db effeciency you can guess what I am thinking of trying out next!:)

Does it glow?;)

Rod,

Nice looking speakers.

Maybe you should consider Steve Ms Sonic Art Legend amp.Would work beautifully with these speakers I reckon.

Many of the Cabasse speakers used dome mids[the DOM 12 specifically].Yours might actually be better with the cone mid-the domes sound fantastic but do not image as well as the cones-or rather the soundstage is more spread than focused.

I have tried the DOM 12 in all sorts of speakers and could never get it to lock in images as well as a decent cone midrange.[Yamaha NS1000s with dome mids suffer from the same thing]

Yes guys, you can read me like a book. Have been looking at Steve M's advert for a a few days. Shall see what pans out but a few glowing tubes would be nice to try.

A GTG is required yes. In a few weeks i reckon. Tony M, Maybe you could bring those Toshibas down for a comparison?