Sign in to follow this  
Callum

The sound of rising debt

Hello all,

Its ironic that the easiest way to secure loans, HPs and ridiculous credit card limits is when you shouldn't need them in the first place: by having a largely disposable income. Thus - with no kids, no mortgage and no car - my fledgling interest in HiFi and HT has me up to the eyeballs in debt and loving every second of it....but the instant gratification of upgraditis has been curtailed after my latest purchase required me to sign a contract stipulating that any future purchase shall be paid for in hard earned cash. Time to break out the pannier bags and call the local newspaper.

Sources:

NAD C542 Cd player

Pioneer DVD player

Amplification:

Perreaux E160i integrated amp

NAD T752 A/V receiver

Speakers:

Boston Acoustics CR series front and rear

Boston Acoustics VR series centre channel

Display:

Panasonic AE300 projector

Luma 100" pulldown screen with DIY constant-width masking

Other bits:

Belkin PureAV passive filter powerboard

Mix of Kimber, Pudney Gold, Sharkwire and Phoenix cabling

The Perreaux amp has been the sonic equivalent of changing from a TV to front projection. More detail, more spaciousness, more ease, more musical and it's low end authority has me seriously questioning the need for a sub - and this from two 7" ported woofers in a 15 x 8m room.

Main areas for improvement are the room itself which has some nasty uneveness below 100 Hz, but we'll be moving soon anyway, and the main speakers which are most likely now the limiting factor for music, but I'll be a few more years on the paper run before they get upgraded. DIY speaker upgrades, cables, I/Cs and a rack should keep me out of trouble till then. Oh, and lots of music and movies of course.

Callum

Attached files 13353=207-pic2.jpg

what rack is that?

nice sized room? how does it compare to the more-standard 3 x 5 or 4 x 7m?

Originally posted by Mark

what rack is that?

Its a MacKenzie Special V III. Quite rare I believe. Consists of audiophile quality, cryogenically treated fibreboard separated by high mass, anti-vibrational blocks around the amps and stacked, hand-crafted laminated pine veneer around the sources. All contact points are damped and isolated by a viscoelastic compound developed by NASA for ensuring a tight seal around buttocks on the space shuttle toilet seats. The CD player shelf is further damped by inert gas-injected, closed-cell foam isopads.

Yes, its MDF with bricks and plywood blocks, all held together with blutack and a few bits of camping mat under the CD shelf - a temporary and free solution using bits and pieces taxed from my workplace until I get around to building a good rack. Looks alright though.

nice sized room? how does it compare to the more-standard 3 x 5 or 4 x 7m?

We moved here from a tiny cottage with a 2.5 x 3.5 m lounge, so the difference couldn't have been much greater. The first thing I moved, of course, was the stereo which I quickly setup in the middle of the same wall it occupies now and played some music, anticipating a spacious and uncongested sound to flow forth...which didn't really happen. I think that I was so accustomed to the treble livelyness and sense of air compression from bass that the small room produced, that I was just confused by the lack of compounding room reflections and resonances.

The bass was lighter, but less boomy; the overall sound more focused but somewhat lifeless by comparison. Took a while to become accustomed to it and only recently have I brought back some of the sparkle by toeing the speakers right in and switching to a much closer listening position - that and buying a decent source and stereo amp.

The real killer in this room, with perfectly parallel and reflective walls and windows all around is the slap echo. And boy can this room echo. Like Craig found, it can do nasty things to the treble. Somewhat lessened by dropping the blinds and pulling all the curtains, but could really do with some tapestries on the walls as well.

We'll be moving again in a few months, back into a small country cottage as it happens....

Callum

Hi all,

Was intending to post a whole system update once the HT side of things was finished, but that's not going to happen in a hurry with the wee-tacker gobbling time as he does, so here's a couple of pics of the new rack in the meanwhile....

Construction is two 12mm pine ply sheets sandwiching a sheet of barium-loaded PVC mat bonded with half a tube of liquid nails per shelf to give a sort of constrained layer dampening system. Uprights are threaded 16mm stainless. Was pretty hard work making it without the right tools for the job - matching the curve on the front required a whole day of sanding by hand alone - but it was worth it in the end. Just not looking forward to shifting it again when the time comes, it weighs a bloody tonne.

Happy Easter's listening and viewing to y'all,

Callum

Attached files 11365=171-1.jpg

Great looking rack Callum. I'm just wondering about the soft, fluffy looking thing at the top of the first photo. Some sort of damping I assume? ;);)

Cheers,

Craig.

Originally posted by Craig F

Great looking rack Callum.

Cheers ears.

I'm just wondering about the soft, fluffy looking thing at the top of the first photo. Some sort of damping I assume?

Carbon-based Absorbent Technology - good for warming the lap too, which it's currently doing.

Originally posted by Callum

Carbon-based Absorbent Technology - good for warming the lap too, which it's currently doing.

We've owned a succession of these & they all, from time to time on a periodic basis, emit a strangely appealing 30~50hz low-level vibration. Curious...tried different sizes & colours, can't get rid of it.

Owen :D

but the instant gratification of upgraditis has been curtailed after my latest purchase required me to sign a contract stipulating that any future purchase shall be paid for in hard earned cash.

The Wife made you sign or?

Thats a damn fine rack you have there sir!! I wish i had the patience to build something half as magnificent. I have a whole lot of plans, but no time......that and the fact I just paid for a new sound creations one....

Callum that's a gorgeous looking rack ( can't believe I'm saying that to a bloke!) I'd amputate something if I even tried to do something like that. I would guess it looks even better in real life.

Cheers,

Kevin

Great looking rack.

You could get the uprights machined to get rid of the thread you don't need. For the next model which you are going to sell of course.:P

Are the bottoms spiked?

Agreed, a fine piece of engineering.

You can also sleeve the uprights of course, but this may lead to harmonics.

No, from the pictures I think they're sitting on rubber feet?

Cheers, Shane.

Callum,

From whence do you obtain Barium Loaded PVC Mat?

This could make a nice TT mat or other isolation uses.

(I still have an Audioref barium interlayer, methacrylate TT mat.)

Cheers, Owen

Thanks for kind words. Might give me the impetus I need to get cracking on the remainder of the project. One day. A few posts to reply to, so forgive the overuse of quotation.

Originally posted by Owen Y

We've owned a succession of these & they all, from time to time on a periodic basis, emit a strangely appealing 30~50hz low-level vibration. Curious...tried different sizes & colours, can't get rid of it.

There's a good joke in here somewhere about magnetic Fe line suppressors.....if you're a chemistry nerd. Hur hur.

Originally posted by Mevunky

The Wife made you sign or?

Or she'd see to it that we got a car, a house, a mortgage, a child and a single income to fund it all. Which is, of course, what happened in the intervening year since I first posted in the member's system section. On a brighter note, even a $100 sub will have digital equalisation by the time I can spare the coin for one again.

Originally posted by neil

I wish i had the patience to build something half as magnificent.

Thanks neil. Building may be challenging and possibly rewarding, but buying well-crafted products from people who know what they're doing is pretty goddamn smart. I've been redesigning and (sort of) trying to finish a PJ mount for six months now and it's a half-baked piece of shite. The patience is gone, but the odd contraption hanging from the ceiling is still there.

Originally posted by Colin^

Nice setup you have there. Be great to watch some concerts on it.

It's changed a bit since the '04 photo. Always seem to forget about concerts when picking movies. Got any recommendations?

Originally posted by markvetnz

You could get the uprights machined to get rid of the thread you don't need. For the next model which you are going to sell of course. Are the bottoms spiked?

Kinda like the industrial look of threaded uprights. And it means the rack is adjustable for future requirements. Are iPods microphonic?

No spikes. Half round stainless endcaps sitting in rubber cups. Floors are hardwood on timber supports so I want to isolate rather than conduct. The shelves are probably a better sink for vibration than our dodgy floor.

$5k might inspire me to make another one of these if you're interested. No? Good. Besides, the whole thing is a rip-off of other people's ideas.

Originally posted by Low Orbit

...but this may lead to harmonics

All for more harmony. Resonances perhaps?

Busted. Trying to be all fancy sounding about dampening mat from Jaycar. Costs about $15 for a 350x500mm sheet. Wouldn't use it in contact with anything valuable though - PVC continuously leeches nasty chemicals which is why you shouldn't buy cable made from it.

Originally posted by Ayou2 and Cooksferry

check out one of these (and) Your design looks a little like the TNT Flexy table

Good sleuthing. The construction is pure TNT flexy and the curve on the front is entirely attributable to Soul to Sole and AudioEnz for publishing the picture of their rack. Ruhspect.

Callum

Callum,

This could make a nice TT mat or other isolation uses.

(I still have an Audioref barium interlayer, methacrylate TT mat.)

Cheers, Owen

I had the similar Record Interface Mat from the Hi-Fi News Accessories Club.

Indispensible for the Linn Sondek I had at the time.

that is a fantastic looking rack. can you share the secret of where all the components came from. why don't you think about starting a business and selling them as a kit set....?

i think someone else in these forums built one using perspex or clear acrylic shelves. however I do love the look of plywood. maybe worth trying inert stone like travertine(?).

would be great for someone to package all the components up for those of use who are inextricably lazy!

Originally posted by curious_george

can you share the secret of where all the components came from.

No secrets here:

The M16 metal fittings are all from NZF, though any stainless manufacturer will have these in stock. Don't buy this stuff from a hardware store because they add huge markups to it. Used SS cleaner from the supermarket to clean off oil remaining from the production process.

The plywood (12mm CD grade), liquid nails, rubber cups for the feet and some Cabots stain to finish it are all stock hardware store items. The rubber washers under the nuts were made by a local firm.

The sound mat sandwiched between the pieces of ply is from Jaycar electronics (part#AX3680 I think). It has a textured surface so requires a large amount of cement to ensure a consistent bond to the ply across the shelf.

Costs roughly $500 all up, most of which goes on the stainless - using M10 or M12 gauge would save a lot of dineros. Makes the Soul to Sole rack look like an incredible bargain and a whole lot easier than making it yourself.

Callum

Great work Callum! No WAY would I have the patience or the wherewithall to get that made...

Hat off to ya' mate. It looks fantastic.

:)

Hey Callum

Really cool looking Rack. Yeh yeh stop the sniggering!

I love the threaded legs.

You're sure right about the cost of stainless steel and going up again soon apparently.

Thanks for acknowledging the front curve is from my Racks but there was really no need.

I don't think you can copyright a curve. Or can you...mmmm...............

You may be hearing from my lawyers!

Seriously I'm very impressed. Well done.

Soul to Sole Guy